16 July, 2013

286. Mott the Hoople | Mott (1973)



Tracks
  1. All the Way from Memphis
  2. Whizz Kid
  3. Hymn for the Dudes
  4. Honaloochie Boogie
  5. Violence
  6. Drivin’ Sister
  7. Ballad of Mott the Hoople
  8. I’m a Cadillac / El Camino Dolo Roso
  9. I Wish I Was Your Mother

Note: The album cover on the left is from the original UK release and the album on the right is from the original US release.

Mott is an enhanced album. The music is hard rock, but it really seems to evoke glam rock in many ways, rather than hard rock. Whizz Kid could have easily been a Bowie song, and so couldn't Hymn for the Dudes. That's the reason for saying it's enhanced, if one is to believe that hard rock is more accepted than glam rock. This album also follows a rock and roll line. In face, in places it's reminiscent of Rod Stewart's recent works.

I like this album, but it's a bit boring. There's no doubt that the songs are have good melodies and riffs, but it's they are missing the carefreeness and ignorance of the glam bands, as if they are respectable adults. I do think this album is worth listening to. It might deserve being on the 1001 Albums list simply because this album almost seems like the template for hard rock bands to come in about a decade, but I won't go that far.

All the songs are decent enough. The stand outs are All the Way from MemphisWhizz KidViolenceI’m a Cadillac / El Camino Dolo Roso and I Wish I Was Your Mother.

★★★★★★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment