03 December, 2012

222. Dolly Parton | Coat of Many Colors (1971)



Tracks
  1. Coat of Many Colors
  2. Traveling Man
  3. My Blue Tears
  4. If I Lost My Mind
  5. The Mystery of the Mystery
  6. She Never Met a Man (She Didn't Like)
  7. Early Morning Breeze
  8. The Way I See You
  9. Here I Am
  10. A Better Place to Live

Coat of Many Colors is a perceptive album. The music is country. The music light and nimble and leaves no doubt that it is country music, albeit without the twang. Dolly Parton is wonderful singer and very charismatic.

Lyrically, country music is always grounded in the here and now. Dolly Parton knows that well whether or not she's singing from personal experience. She is one among many to sing the great country memes: heartbreak, two-timing, poverty and God.

This is an outstanding album. This album is short and sweet, but is worth listening to many times over. It'd be a good addition to any serious collection. It deserves to be on the 1001 Albums list. Although, country music is sparse on this list, this album suggests a new, more-personalized direction in country music.

All the songs are good. The stand outs are: Coat of Many ColorsTravelingMy Blue TearsShe Never Met a Man (She Didn't Like)Early Morning Breeze, The Way I See You and Here I Am.

★★★★★★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment