21 December, 2012

236. Gene Clark | White Light (1971)



Tracks
  1. The Virgin
  2. With Tomorrow
  3. White Light
  4. Because of You
  5. One in a Hundred
  6. For a Spanish Guitar
  7. Where My Love Lies Asleep
  8. Tears of Rage
  9. 1975

White Light is an exquisite album. The music is country. While it's country music, it doesn't incorporate all the elements of country music. There isn't any twangy guitar sound. Gene Clark doesn't sound at all like a country music singer and the lyrics don't follow the common themes found in country music. So, while this album doesn't resemble country music in any way, it's unmistakably country. I'm guessing it's the slow tempo, the sad and somber tone and the harmonica that makes this a country album.

The main focus is the lyrics. They are central to the songs and Gene Clark delivers them in a deliberate and detached way. He's just a storyteller even if the songs involve him.

The music is notable. The playing is mature and restrained. Only the essential comes through which gives Gene Clark room to sing. And he has a wonderful voice to listen to. It's so cool and calm. There's a timeless quality to the songs.

The album is wonderful. This is one of the best overall albums I've heard so far. It's the kind of album I want to put on again and again. It's surprising for me to feel this way because I think Gene Clark is one of the main reasons I don't really enjoy any pre-Gram Parsons Byrds' albums.

I certainly think this album is worth listening to and it deserves to be in any serious collector's collection. I believe it should be on the 1001 Albums list. Gene Clark takes country music in an interesting direction. I suspect he's the only one who went in this direction, but it would have been worthwhile for other country artists to pursue.

All the songs on this album are outstanding. For a Spanish Guitar is my favorite and With Tomorrow a close second.

★★★★★★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment