14 December, 2012

230. Joni Mitchell | Blue (1971)



Tracks
  1. All I Want
  2. My Old Man
  3. Little Green
  4. Carey
  5. Blue
  6. California
  7. This Flight Tonight
  8. River
  9. A Case of You
  10. The Last Time I Saw Richard

Blue is a personal album. The music is folk. Joni Mitchell sings mostly about her past relationships. Her voice takes some time to get used to, and it's well worth taking the time. The songs aren't very catchy but the music goes well Joni Mitchell's singing.

I can imagine this album was quite risqué when it was released. Although the women's lib movement was in full force, how many women were writing and singing about their sexuality? Even though it wasn't known until much later, how many women would sing about giving up their child for adoption? (Little Green)

I think this album is great simply because it is so personal. I think it's worth listening to, but not too sure about it needing to be on the 1001 Albums list. If it deserves to be on the list, it's because of its personal nature.

All the songs are very good. I think All I Want, Little Green, California, River and The Last Time I Saw Richard are the stand outs.

★★★★★★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment